Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The beds are ready!!

So the next couple of weeks should end our cold snap season and the plants should do well in the garden. Due to some family stuff, we haven't been home the past two weekends. That means no yard/gardening time for me. Well tonight Joel and I made a quick run to the store and picked up some soaker hoses.

I managed to get them laid in and my square feet marked out with string.




And a view from the steps into the kitchen...



I'm hoping the soaker hose will do a good job of watering for me, anyone have an opinion on them?

And my poor seedlings, we were out of town for 5 days last week and I think the lack of watering has set them on a bad path. The cantaloupes still look strong, but I'm not sure any are going to be great producers. And yeah, I know I need to sharpen the mower blades and get them out of the house. ;-)





Hopefully this weekend we'll be able to get to the nursery and grab some seedlings from them. After all, I do have 64 square feet to fill up.

2 comments:

  1. Looking really good! I love that it's so close to your kitchen. Kitchen gardens rock as they're so convenient.

    As for the soaker hose, they do well if you plant close enough to the hose. Those plants a few inches away don't get enough water, which is a downfall. So watch carefully until you have it right where you need it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's part of the reason I put it where I did. I figured if I see it every time I walk out the back door or pull in the drive way I'm sure to give it more attention!

    As for the soaker hose, I'm watching it. It does alright but I'm getting water running out of the beds when it gets pretty wet. I'm not sure I like that. But that's another post. It's time for an update, I need to snap some pictures.

    ReplyDelete