Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thoughts of composting class, warm weather, and veggies...

~DISCLAIMER~
Due to computer issues, I don't have any new pictures. But hopefully tonight I'll have a few to post.

The composting class last week was very informative! Not only did it give me a chance to see how wet the bins needed to be (A LOT wetter than I thought) but I got to meet a few new folks, hang out with my buddy, and got a welded wire composting hoop. Now to get mine started. I need to find a load of browns though, guess I'll be using the neighborhood's throw outs.

So my seedlings didn't do so well. I'm a veggie killer. I was starting the hardening off process and got wrapped up in the day. They spent the better part of two days outside and of course they were windy, hot, and dry. I lost everything except for a couple of cantaloupes. They are now in the beds and I'm hoping they'll pull through.

So I ended up buying all of my plants from a local nursery. Well, all of the except for all of my crowder peas. I started them from seeds in the beds and boy are they taking off! On Friday I was starting to worry I had planted them too deep, it'd been a week with no signs of life. And then came the 85-90 degree days over the weekend. It's amazing what some good sun shine will do. By Monday night they were almost 2" tall and looking extremely healthy!

Now here's one for you guys that are a little more experienced than I am (like that's hard). When watering my beds, the water drains out of them pretty quickly. Now I know I need to stop before this happens, but how much in the way of nutrients am I loosing in the brown water that comes out?

Since spring is officially here in NC, I hope everyone can get out and enjoy this beautiful time of the year!

Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment