Sunday, March 29, 2009

Beds built and seeds/plants growing!

What a weekend!

Erin and I must've cooked some bad pork chops Thursday night for supper, b/c she was sick Friday during the day and then I was almost ready to die Friday night. Which wasn't cool because I had to take the USGBC's LEED exam Saturday morning at 8:30. Even though I was up almost every hour Friday night I still passed the exam YAAY! Anyways...on to the rest of the weekend.

Joel and I made a run to Lowes this morning. You should've seen monster boy trying to help me pick up 2x6's, bags of compost, topsoil, and peat moss. He was a very big help. Well, as much help as a twenty month old can be ;-)

This is what I started with...(sorry for the quality, the next phone I get will hopefully take better pictures)

From Garden2009


Here's one of the piles of bags. My poor Caravan, I'm glad it's handled all of the abuse I've thrown at it.

From Garden2009


And here's the finished product. I've got 2 4'x8' beds. Now to get them mixed a little better and some quality rain to soak them on down.

From Garden2009

The seedlings are doing well. I really need a few more warm days w/o so much wind so I can leave them outside, they are starting to lean towards the windows as the day goes by.

From Garden2009


From Garden2009
Erin and I are going to run by the garden center and pick up a few more plants. We're thinking some lettuces, I know it's late but the rest of our yard is very shaded so we're gonna give them a try, some squash, strawberries, cucumbers, and green peppers.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got the hard part over with - filling the beds. Will you install trellises on the boxes?

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to. I'm not sure yet on how I want to build them, but I know I'll want them.

    Have you ever used trellises for cantaloupes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes....do a search for cantaloupes on my blog, and you'll see links to several posts about it.

    EG

    ReplyDelete