Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Started the garden...well the plants anyways.

I'm still on my quest to find vermiculite that won't cost me an arm and a leg. The local nursery wants $20 for 4 cubic feet. With the size I'm doing (2 4'x8' plots) I will end up putting $60 into just the vermiculite.

Anyways, I started the seeds tonight. Spent a few hours out in the shop building some quick seedling trays. I will probably end up changing or atleast adding paper cups under the peat moss cups. They leak horribly and Erin's going to kill me if I make a mess on the floor every time I water (not to mention I don't want to have to clean up the mess every night).

I have 10 brandy wine tomato's, 10 beef steak tomato's, 5 chives, 10 onions, 10 canteloupes, & 5 oregano's started. I'm thinking I might start a few more once I get these in the ground. Maybe a late crop of oregano I can keep inside and a few more chives to plant later in the season.

Here's a couple of shots of the seedling trays.








And here's a rough sketch of how I'm going to lay out the beds.







The lay out still needs a little work, but that gives you the gist of how it's going to go.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, followed you from EG's blog. Great concept for your seed trays. Very creative. I see what you mean about the mess though. May want to try seedling trays under the cups. Just a thought.

    Anyway, I too started my blog to keep me honest with my tracking. It's worked for a year. Addictive too.

    Great looking garden plan! Can't wait to see progress pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about putting the peat moss cups in small cups w/ a paper towel underneath. That way the water can drain out of the cups and not drown the seeds, but keep it from running all over my floor.

    Thanks for following me over and for keeping me honest.

    ReplyDelete